Monday, April 12, 2010


Here is a little introduction about myself.

I was born in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I graduated high school in 1993 from a military academy in Guaynabo, Puerto Rico. Join the Army Reserve in February 2004 as an Engineer assigned to the B Co, 448th Engineer Battalion (Combat Heavy), Ft. Buchanan, Puerto Rico. Upon graduation went to college in pursuance of a Bachelor in Business Administration with a major in Accounting. I graduated from the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus in May 1998. I worked as a Controller for a local company. I married Roxana Delgado in May 29th, 2000. Reenlisted in the Army in September 2002, with the Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) of Administration Specialist, and was assigned to Headquarters and Alpha Company, 325th Forward Support Battalion, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division (Light), Schofield Barracks, Hawaii. I deployed to Kandahar, Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom from April 2004 to April 2005. In January 2006 I had a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) to Ft. Bliss, Texas. I was assigned to Foxtrot Company, 27th Brigade Support Battalion, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, Ft. Bliss, Texas. I deployed to Baghdad, Iraq from November 2006 to December 2007 in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Upon redeployment I was assigned to Foxtrot Company, 121st Brigade Support Battalion, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division. I deployed again from May 2009 to August 2009 to Tallil, Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. During the last deployment was short because on 29 June 2009 while on a Combat Logistic Patrol, my vehicle became under enemy attack, it was struck by an Explosive Formed Projectile (EFP). I had a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) as a result of that event and almost two months later I was MEDEVACd from the theater of Iraq.

My military jobs include:
Personnel Service Sergeant, Heavy Vehicle Driver, HET Vehicle Driver, Ammunition Section NCOIC, Operations Sergeant, and Platoon Sergeant.

My military awards include:
Purple Heart, Combat Action Badge, Army Commendation Medal (4th Award), Army Achievement Medal (3rd Award), Good Conduct Medal (2nd Award), Non Commissioned Officer Professional Development Ribbon (2nd Award), Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal, Iraqi Campaign Medal, Overseas Service Ribbon (3rd Award), National Defense Service Medal (2nd Award), Army Service Ribbon

My military schools include:
Warriors Leaders Course, Advance Leaders Course, Modern Army Combatives Program Level I, Force Battle Command for Brigade and Below (FBCB2), Unit Prevention Leader, Master Driver Course, Combat Life Saver

From 29 June 2009 to 02 September 2009: (Some of the details expressed were given to me by other Soldiers)

The event on 29 Jun 09 changed my life. I had a concussion from the blast. I do not remember loosing consciousness but, I do remember waking up. My driver confirmed that I passed out. During the incident I remember being confused and disoriented, but regardless of me feeling that way when I saw my gunner inside the gunner’s hatch injured adrenaline started rushing thru my body and I immediately proceeded to reassure him that he was going to be ok. I remember getting out of my truck and cross-loading the medic onto my truck for the gunner’s treatment. As soon as the medic was in my truck we continued movement. I remember only a few things after we resume movement: waking up to tell my driver to drive safely, the truck was damaged by the attack, so it was difficult to drive; the next thing I remember was waking up as I was getting pulled out of my vehicle on a litter. From there I remember being at the aid station at a Joint Security Station strapped to a litter. I was confused and extremely slow. It was like that day being in slow motion. The doctor performed a MACE on me and as recorded on the clinical notes I guess I did not do good.
Later on that day we returned to the main FOB, where I was seen at the Emergency Room. The support received from my Chain of Command was outstanding. While on that FOB the public affairs personnel interviewed me and my gunner. This was later published in The Monitor, the Ft. Bliss newspaper. On the second day after the incident I finally returned to the FOB were my company operated from. And here is where all starts.
The symptoms I experienced from that day to the day I was Medevac’d were: headaches, tremors, short term memory issues, could not concentrate or put simple things together, attention level was extremely low, anger bursts, sentimental (too touchy feely), balance issues and vertigo, stuttering and slurred speech, I was sleeping more than usual, and weakness.

No comments:

Post a Comment